Tuesday, August 3

Summertime

I've had a bit of a holiday from this blog, but not on purpose.  For me, Summertime is the ultimate test of putting into practice what you believe.  I work as a wildfire dispatcher in a town in the Pacific Northwest.  I love my job.  This year, my schedule doesn't allow me to go to church.  I work Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 0700-1800..(that doesn't include overtime).  Because I live in a small town, our Youth Group doesn't run during the summer, and there aren't any church groups that have mid-weekly services. 

It's a good thing that it's Someone up-above who's running the show.  :)  I think I've mentioned before that I have the best friends on the planet.  I have my childhood friends, and my college friends.  Both groups encourage me to follow the Lord, and to do my best in life.  My childhood friends always can bring a smile to my face, and they can make me laugh.  There are 5 of us.  3 girls, 2 boys.  God has truly blessed us all with summer jobs this year, and even more, he has given my best friend two of the same days off as I have every week!  It's kind of a big deal because she's living about an hour away during the week fighting fire.

Because Kari (code-name for my best friend) and I work on Sundays, we came up with a plan to do a Bible study while she's home on Tuesday nights!  So, the 5 of us have spent our Tuesday nights digging into God's Word this summer. And it's been such a blessing :)  Before all of our jobs started we would get together at the end of the night, and just pray.  That's probably the last thing you would expect a house full of college kids to do (well, it's the last thing that would normally happen in my town).  It's been so good. 

We have all been given a choice.  I will freely admit that this has been a little bit of a stumbling time this summer for me.  I've just felt a little lost, and living with my family again has taken some additional getting used to.  But those are not excuses.  A relationship requires both parties giving their all.  I'm sorry, Lord, for not trying very hard so far this summer.  I make a commitment to take you into my workplace with me, to continue to read your word, and to continue to fall in love with you. 

One really odd thing that has happened this summer is that I have lost my Bible.  I still haven't found it.  It's hard to walk in the dark without a flashlight, and that's how I've felt.  I have a new Bible now, but all my notes, all my underlines and bookmarks are gone.  I feel like I've lost an arm.  The Bible is one of a believer's only tools that will light the path of this life.  If you don't have one, I would encourage you to purchase one.  It doesn't matter what version it is, or what color the cover is.  Be prepared to take a pen or pencil to the pages though! :)  The words will come alive once you've accepted Jesus as you Lord and Savior. 

The summer of 2010 isn't over yet.  August is just beginning.  If you've had a rough start like me, don't hesitate to dig in.  Just like anything new, reading the Bible is something that takes practice.  The Bible is like a piece of God, and understanding God would take a million years.  Each verse that is underlined in my old Bible was like a facet of God's character that I especially wanted to make my own.  It's going to take perseverance and patience to read the Bible on a daily basis.  Being a Child of God isn't for the faint of heart.  I know that I am not capable of doing it on my own.  I am daily carried in the arms of Christ. 

I hope you are all having blessed summers, and I pray that you're having a great time recovering from a full school year!  Jesus loves you and so do I! :)




p.s.
I know some of my friends are almost ready to head off to college again (like on Friday!), and I pray that their Freshman year will be a fantastic one.  I pray that God would draw near to them, and that they would discover their faith like never before.  I pray that they would make friends, and that the temptations of a brand new world would not take root in their skin.  Protect my dear friends, my Lord.  Love them and cherish them.  Draw them closer to you and guide their paths. :)

No comments: