Saturday, February 19

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still water.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.


Three weeks ago, this Psalm became personal.  Instead of being an observer, a reader....I was the sheep.  For those that don't know, sheep are absolutely dependent upon humans.  Of all the domesticated animals, they are the only that are 100% reliant upon their masters for food, shelter, and safety.  If left alone in the wild, it would be nearly impossible for them to survive.  I am a sheep.  I'm a prey animal.  I am helpless.  I am needy.  I have the Loving Master as my shepherd.  He gave His life so that I could live.  I have nothing to fear.  I know that when The Shepherd leads me into the valley of the shadow of death, I have no reason to tremble in fright, for the Lord is with me. 

It's amazing how much more insight I have now on this much recited Psalm after working in the Sheep Center here.  I'm volunteering during the lambing season, and I see every time I go to work how dependent sheep are on their shepherds.  I, Katie, am their shepherd.  Why would I let them to suffer or go hungry or become cold?  The Lord says the same to us.  He doles out our food every morning and evening, and He loves us.  He cares for us, and spends time with us.  He knows our ways and what our favorite spot to scratch is. 

Be of good cheer, for the Lord God is with you. 

-Kaitlynn Marie

No comments: