Saturday, December 10

When you can't ignore it...


You know those times that the Lord is telling you something?  I'm thinking more about the times he's telling you something and you unceremoniously refuse. {okay..maybe it's just me that does that..}  I have two prime examples for you this lovely evening in the hopes that you will recognize the voice of the Father and obey.

Example 1
Setting: Fall Retreat {a.k.a beautiful Sun River..very beautiful..think rustic/fancy cabin, slightly chilly as in snowy chilly, and the presence of our Father}
Time: 7:19 AM..or somewhere roughly around there
Scene: Kaitlynn is woken up by slightly panicking roommate Mar.

Mar: Kaitlynn..(no response).. Kaiiiitlynn.
Kaitlynn: (sits up) yeah?
Mar: My phone is between the bed and the wall and the alarm is going to go off in like 5 minutes... will you help me move the bed before it goes off and wakes everyone up?
Kaitlynn: Okay.

So we proceed to rescue said phone...albeit by moving the whole bed.. the phone somehow got stuck between the box frame and the wall...
At this point Mar gets up to shower and Kaitlynn grabs all the blankets and gets ready to sleep for another 25 minutes per the pre-allotted time as organized the night before.

            God: Good morning, beautiful daughter!
            Kaitlynn: Good morning, Daddy.  (eyes closed, but smiling)
God: I know you want to sleep for another 25 minutes, but I’d like it if you came outside and spent some time with me this morning.
Kaitlynn: Daddy, didn’t you see the memo last night?  I’m spending time with You from 8:00-8:30, after I shower.  I have 23 minutes left of sleep..
God: I did see your memo last night....I have other plans though.  I want you to come outside and watch the sunrise with Me.  I want to spend some quality time with you to start your day.
Kaitlynn: Buuuuut, Dadddd it’s really cold outside!  And it’s sssoooo warm under all these blankies.  Can’t we just wait ‘till after I shower?  I’m not even really awake yet, and I haven’t had any coffee, and (interrupted)
God: Come out here, Kaitlynn.
Kaitlynn: Sorry, Daddy.  I’m just gonna sleep for 17 more minutes.  See you in half an hour.

I snuggle down in my blankies and pretend that I’m not ignoring the Maker of the Universe... 17 minutes later...

Mar: (walking out of the bathroom and whispering so as not to wake the other girls) Kaitlynn, did you see the text from Chad?
Kaitlynn: No. (gets up to check phone.  Reads message that says something like: “Hey guys, I announced the wrong start time for Chapel this morning.  It actually starts at 9:00...not 9:30.  [Leaders] Please meet at 8:30 in foyer..”)  Oh.
Mar: Yeah.. we need to tell the girls and start breakfast.. now!
Kaitlynn: Okay.  I’m gonna hop in the shower.  We still have 15ish minutes before we need to wake everyone up.

So I take a nice warm shower, get dressed, and look outside to the porch outside our room.  Then it hits me.  The Lord knew that I would ‘unexpectedly’ be running 30 minutes behind.  Which was why He wanted me to spend time with Him before my pre-planned time.  At this point I just stare out the window and ask for forgiveness.  I’m so selfish.  

           

Example 2
Setting: Kaitlynn’s Apartment
Time: Not exactly important...
Scene: Kaitlynn feels gentle nudging to pick up book she’s been trying[somewhat half-heartedly] to read for 2 weeks.

She gets on Pinterest...

A few hours later, same nudging feeling creeps in.
Kaitlynn watches Beauty and the Beast instead.

The next day, as Kaitlynn is again on Pinterest...the nudging.

            God: Kaitlynn, dear I’d like You to go read your book.
            Kaitlynn: Sorry, Lord but I’m busy.
            God: No you’re not..you’re actually really bored...
            Kaitlynn: Okay, I am...but still. (continues to pursue nothing on Pinterest)

A little later

            God: Are you ready to listen to me now?
            Kaitlynn: (exhales) I guess so..
            God: Why do you fight me?  You love to read!!!
Kaitlynn: I know, Daddy... I’m just stubborn and don’t like to admit my failures.  I know I have things we need to work out. 
God: I know, sweetheart.  Come to me.  My arms are open and waiting for you.  I will always love you.  You know that!  So why do you doubt it?
Kaitlynn: I don’t doubt that you love me!!  I doubt my own mind in a happy ending.  Will you grow in me a trust for You above all others?
God: (just smiles, and takes my hand)

And I go read.  And it’s exactly what I need. 


I don’t want anyone to be confused...  I don’t hear God speak audibly.  My conversations with God are more like impressions on my heart.  That being said, the impressions on my heart are words of their own.  They are heart-spirit conversations with my Maker.  Since He created me, He knows how to speak to me in a way that cannot be denied or ignored... well I do my best to ignore them sometimes...but I never last for long!!
Some people do hear audible words from the Lord, some see images from the Lord.  Everyone is different, and every walk with God is different.  This is just what mine looks like. :)

I hope these confessions bolster you to turn and listen to the Father the first time.  The school of hard knocks is not what I recommend.

Thanks for reading.  To God be the glory!!
~Kaitlynn Marie

No comments: