Thursday, December 16

The Most Unlikely of Places

Lately, I've been watching a tv series on Netflix.  It's called McLeod's Daughters.  The show takes place in the Australian bush, and is all about a ranch that is ran by two sisters and an all female staff.  I've fallen in love.  It's funny, serious, and all about family wrapped into one.  It also highlights the many facets of running a property... and I think that's my favorite part.  Lots of horses, cows, sheep, and even alpacas.  You never know what's going to happen on Drover's Run, the name of the ranch. 

My sister and I have been staying up way too late since we've been home watching it.. we just finished the 3rd season.  In case anyone is interested in watching, I won't spoil anything. 
What I do want to talk about tonight is difficult to put into words.  One thing that the McLeod sisters deal with throughout the show is death.  The women are actually half-sisters, brought together after a long separation by the death of their father.  The show was a long series hit in Australia, and religion isn't ever really mentioned. 

I guess this ties in with what I'm thankful for tonight because I am thankful beyond words that I know for certain where I'm going when I die.  I have a one-way ticket to Heaven...the boarding time just hasn't been filled in yet.  I don't fear death, because I know that being absent in body is being present with the Lord. 

One thing that's always hard is seeing people you love die.  No words fill the holes that have been left over in your life.  The only consolation is found in knowing that if they believed, then Heaven isn't too far off in any of our futures..not to sound morbid or anything.  Losing a sibling, parents, friends, and children is extremely difficult.  Unfortunately it's a part of life, and everyone will have to deal with it at some time or later.  The silver lining in this dark cloud is that there is hope that is only found in Jesus Christ.  For that I am thankful.

No comments: