Saturday, December 17

When Everything You Do

Is For God's Glory.


The past few days here have been sweet times spent with the Lord.  It shouldn't surprise me that when I take the time to actually enter the stillness, and to spend time with my God, I can see the fruit in everything else.  For me there are distinct times of rushing through, living through, and walking through time, events, and days.





 Rushing through is when I'm going a million miles an hour, I'm always out of breath, and it seems I can't see straight enough to know where I am.



  (photo credit)











Living through is just going through the motions.  Going here and there, not rushing, but not really understanding or processing anything.












Walking through is the place where  I internalize, where I can connect the dots.  Even though the world is moving around me, time stands still.  It's where I most easily meet Yeshua.   






I have a new appreciation for people who work in retail year-round.  I'm on day two and already my knees are killing me!  But it's a small thing to suffer, for how fun my job really is.  I'm a 'greeter' at Hallmark.  Translation: Smile and talk to people when they come in. 

I can do this! 

Last night I had my first shift and I prayed the whole way there that God would give me humility in learning a new set of job-skills, and that I would shine for Him. 

This morning, I spent the car ride there praying the same thing. That my smiles and "How are you doing todays" would be more than just surface things.  I prayed that they would truly come from within and that Jesus would shine through me. 

There were lots of people in and out of the store today.  It's amazing how much a smile and a few kind words can really change someone's disposition.  One older lady commented to me that she was glad that I told her Merry Christmas.  She said she missed hearing it around.  She was truly happy.  Something so small on my part.

There was another lady that I helped with her shopping.  I can't even really remember what it was that I helped her find.  An ornament or two and an address book small enough to fit in her purse.  She was a sweet, grandmotherly sort and by the end of her shopping she was calling me by name and wishing me a Merry Christmas.  I was surprised to see her about an hour later.  I told her hello again, and she promptly asked me how long I was working.  I told her until four, and she said good.  She wanted to make sure I would be there ten minutes later, and not on break or something.

A short time later she walked in with a little red gift bag in her hand.  She walked right up to me and said, "Kaitlynn, this is a Christmas gift for you.  Thank you for helping me this morning, I appreciate it!  You can go ahead and open it now."

I was speechless and probably would have started crying if I'd had a little more time to think about it.  I opened the bag and inside was an angel ornament that she had had customized with my name and 2011.  I thanked her, gave her a hug,  told her to have a blessed Christmas, and she was gone.  I never even got her name.

I turned around to face my co-workers, and one of them was crying.  They'd never seen anything like it. 

To God be the glory. 

I hope that what the grandmotherly sweetheart saw in me today was Jesus.  I know it couldn't have been my knowledge of the store or products...it was my second day today.  Her kindness blessed me beyond belief.  I went to the back room and thanked the Lord. 

My goal is simply to be the warmth and love of the Father.  So many little old ladies make their way into our store, and I wonder how often they get to talk to someone.  How often do they see their children and grandkids?  I know now that this job wasn't sent to me because I needed the money.  I was sent to this job because I have a role to fill in impacting people. 

I may not be able to say anything about my Savior, but I can smile, ask how d'ya do, and simply love people.  Now more than ever I cry out, "To God be the glory."


Where in your own life can you be the hands and feet of Jesus?  

Until next time,
Kaitlynn Marie

No comments: